Elders Real Estate - cloud hosting
Elders Real Estate were requiring a new hosting environment after coming to the End Of Life (EOL) for their existing solution. This would normally mean significant capital expenditure in purchasing new servers; configuring along with potential for downtime and various other issues that often come with hosting using physical servers.
Iugo promoted the idea of using cloud-based hosting where Elders Real Estate could move their entire web presence into the Cloud; in particular Amazon Web Services (AWS). The Cloud brings new options and flexibility not previously available; such as:
- ability to scale up and down depending on usage
- separation of duties – ie website/database/image processing/file creation & so-on
- cost-effective storage solution for significant sets of data
- assets cached all around the world; meaning it’s fast for anyone in the world to access the Elders Real Estate website
- greater redundancy as more servers can be load balanced when required
The cost benefits were also significant with Return on Investment (ROI) being in a very short timeframe due to:
- storage costs at around a tenth of what it would be with a more typical set up
- only pay for what you use – the infrastructure can be ramped up or down to suit needs
- bandwidth costs significantly cheaper
- less management required due to auto-scaling when required
Iugo made heavy use of AWS’s capabilities; using technologies such as:
- various EC2 instances (virtual machines) for serving the website as well as worker drones for image processing & so-on
- Simple Storage Service (S3) for housing of all assets
- CloudFront which mirrors those assets all around the world allowing for quick access to those files
- RDS – a fully managed database service which scales when required
- Simple Queue Service (SQS) which handles image & file processing in a managed format allowing for multiple worker drones to be active at any one time thus speeding up processing in heavy use periods
The end result has been a very positive one for Elders Real Estate and a super-interesting project for us at Iugo. The site is fast to use; extremely cost-effective to set up and run and most importantly; the site has been rock-solid and is exceeding the Service Level Agreement (SLA).
If you’re interested in how we can implement Cloud-based hosting for your company; please contact us for a chat.
Visit the Elders Real Estate website here »